"You are guilty of no evil... except a little fearfulness. For that, the journey you go on is your pain, and perhaps your cure: for you must be either mad or brave before it is ended." ~C. S. Lewis "Out of the Silent Planet"

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Happiness Is a Warm Cup of Tea

To be perfectly honest, I'm currently fighting against various forms of despondency and illness. 

I went out this morning, in the rain, on foot (partially because I accidentally locked my keys in the room, and partially because Cody saw a cyclist get hit by a delivery truck which scares me...), to Boots to buy cold medicine because I've been basically miserable for the last 24 hours. I got really wet, and really confused, but somehow ended up back at Keble for lunch with a bag or various cold remedies, none of which I recognize. Then I traipsed back out in the rain to Blackwell's where I got a very welcome cup of hot tea from the Cafe Nero people who are beginning to feel like my best buddies, and attempted to read W.B. Yeats until it was time for Chaucer (which is incidentally just down Broad street at Trinity, if you weren't aware). Arriving at Chaucer I made a complete fool of myself because I was so fuzzy-headed I could barely form sentences, and definitely couldn't manage analytical thought of any sort, although fortunately, Jeremiah did a lot of talking to compensate for my dumbness. And then I dragged my sorry carcass back to the house (which takes SO much longer without a bike), and I felt like the day was sort of summed up by the big truck that drove past and splashed a bunch of muddy puddle water all over me. Now I'm perched on my bed like a sad little bird, contemplating the paper I haven't started writing for Modern Irish tomorrow, and all the May Day festivities that  I'm going to miss out on tonight due to a combination of excess work and disease.

So there's my day. Hey, tomorrow can only get better, right? ;)

In other news... um... I can't think of any other news. My head is too fuzzy.

I'll try this again when I'm more coherent... But until then, here's something that's sustaining me at the moment:

"Comfort, comfort my people, says your God.
Speak tenderly to Jerusalem and cry to her 
that her warfare is ended, that her iniquity is pardoned,
that she has received from the Lord's hand
double for all her sins.
A voice cries:
'In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord;
make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
Every valley shall be lifted up,
and every mountain and hill be made low;
the uneven ground shall become level,
and the rough places a plain.
And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed,
and all flesh shall see it together,
for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.'"
 (Isaiah 40:1-5)

No comments: