"You are guilty of no evil... except a little fearfulness. For that, the journey you go on is your pain, and perhaps your cure: for you must be either mad or brave before it is ended." ~C. S. Lewis "Out of the Silent Planet"

Thursday, April 17, 2008

At the Bottom of Everything

Well, I'm about to turn in my last History essay, and then I only have one more paper to write before seminars are behind me. I think these two classes will look a lot better in hindsight than they look from within... sort of like reading Moby Dick.

And speaking of wonderful literature, Kathleen and I've just returned from meeting with our Modern Irish Lit Tutor. Her name is Dr. Clare Conners (she told us to call her Clare) and she is probably in her early 30s, and she promises to be the most awesome tutor ever!! I cannot wait to sink my teeth into manageable amounts of Joyce, Yeats, Heaney, Beckett, Bowen and Synge. 

Kathleen and I found our way to Queen's College on High street and entered it to be awed by the gorgeous quad: a carefully kept courtyard of white and purple flowers surrounded by towering ancient walls and stained glass windows. I has a much more intimate and official feel to it than Keble. Dr. Conners met us at the Porter's office and led us through a labyrinthine corridor to her office. When she opened the door I think I might have visibly drooled a little bit. She has an adorable little office overlooking the garden, with magnolia blossoms peeking in the open window. The ceiling has exposed, finished beams running across it and every surface in the room is cluttered with an assortment of books, papers, teapots, coffee cups and little trinkets. (it's basically a lot like Ralston's office, except even more cozy and British)

So, suffice to say, that I'm extremely excited and encouraged from this meeting. I think I will actually enjoy this tutorial and be able to embrace the work much more enthusiastically. 

Cheers!

PS -for any Philip Pullman fans out there: I was bad yesterday and I bought a copy of his newest little book (Once Upon a Time in the North), as well as a copy of Northern Lights (The Golden Compass). I just think it's cool looking and it's novel cause it has a different title. I'm bummed because apparently Pullman spoke at a literary festival here the weekend I was in London. I had no idea... *sigh*

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I like the word "manageable"....

Pop said...

Its Clear Dr. Conners has identifed you as a bright and talented student. She will help you till and plant a delightiful Irish garden of prose.
"Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counselors they are established" Prov. 15:22
POP.