"You are guilty of no evil... except a little fearfulness. For that, the journey you go on is your pain, and perhaps your cure: for you must be either mad or brave before it is ended." ~C. S. Lewis "Out of the Silent Planet"

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Brush the Cobwebs off the Sky

Many days have passed since I last posted... I'm sorry about that. Life has been a blur of frantic study beneath domed ceilings.  

Highlights of the past couple weeks:
  • Wrote papers
  • Read books
  • Went to London with Susan (which was wonderful, by the way... except for the sketchy hostel we stayed in...)
  • Read more books, so that I could write more papers
  • Went to class
  • Prepared presentations
  • Had a pint or two
  • Wrote papers
  • Read more books

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It's one of those gloomy days when there are just enough dark clouds to make you pensive, and just enough sunlight peeking thru them to fill you with hope. I walked the streets of city center alone today; Just me and my God, with tears in my eyes and a smile on my lips. The true beauty of unflinching grace is so far beyond these streets and these buildings, and yet each stone is permeated with a divine caress, as if every inch of creation has felt His mercy in some capacity. The trees in the garden outside are reaching their bare arms up towards the sky with a sort of understated urgency, as if they long to be made new. And surely, the spring will bring them new life. It occurs to me that these seasons are working themselves out in my very heart. Somehow, the cold, hard earth in me becomes warmer, more fertile, more resilient day by day. Divine love works hourly in my heart to cover bare limbs with flowering fruit. 

I went back to St. Ebbes this morning, accompanied by friends who have become dear to me in these few weeks (Katie, Em, Cody and Jeremiah). As always, it was refreshing to be amidst God's people. And if that wasn't enough, I happened to run in to some other American students I had been hoping to meet (Mallory's cousin Ryan, his girlfriend Janel, and some other friends of theirs), and got to have tea and talk to them a bit after the service, before heading to Blackwell's and burying myself in a book.

Tomorrow is the first day of the last week of seminars. Even now, while I'm here, this whole experience seems more like a dream than reality. I rode my bike especially slow on the way home today, trying to soak in every building, every street, every park and pub and illustrious old wooden door. Monday next (that's how we say it at Oxford...) I will start my tutorials, which promise to be vaguely (or perhaps precisely) akin to drinking from a fire hydrant. Ryan and Janel told me today that 2 weekly tutorials is more than most Oxford students do in a term (or so they think). This is interesting, considering that I'm taking 2, plus cricket. But, come on, I go to Covenant, and this is just Oxford. Mere child's play ;)

More things I'm learning:
  • the unparalleled thrill of an unopened envelope and the joy of familiar handwriting on folded paper
  • the true genius of Radiohead (I admit, I've been a doubter in the past, but something about Oxford opens one's eyes)
  • you will never experience Oxford it you're afraid of getting your feet (and the rest of you) wet
  • sometimes a smile impacts you more than any work of literature or art (so don't be stingy)
  • pigeons aren't actually very intimidated by bicycles, but that doesn't mean you have to pander to them. Stand your ground! (my bicycle, by the bye, has been affectionately dubbed Marlow, after Conrad's infuriating narrator) 
If you are reading this, chances are that you are in my thoughts, and I have possibly seen you on the streets of Oxford (it's crazy how often I think I see people I know in the faces of strangers). I hope you are well!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I kept thinking I saw people I recognized when I was in Scotland. Strange isn't it? I just looked at your blog for the first time (my bad). Crap I wish I were at Oxford. Have a pint for me.

wettopsoil said...

just think, there are unopened letters from you to me floating somewhere in the midst of the Slovak mail system

Trey said...

I wouldn't be surprised if you saw me; I was in Oxford for the weekend. I almost looked you up, but I was just so busy...

Speaking of which, were you in Chattanooga on Friday? I'm pretty sure you walked by Greyfriars while I was in there.

Looking forward to hearing more about the tutorials (and cricket)!