"You are guilty of no evil... except a little fearfulness. For that, the journey you go on is your pain, and perhaps your cure: for you must be either mad or brave before it is ended." ~C. S. Lewis "Out of the Silent Planet"

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

You Play Your Stereo Loud, You've Got Your Headphones On

We were reunited with the sun today. I felt myself smiling like a fool as I rode my bike through town, basking in the afternoon glow, and an aura of fresh knowledge. I haven't even had my first tutorials yet, but I already feel as though a new world of literature is opening in front of me. It has more depth than I ever imagined, and it's so inextricably connected with every discipline and every aspect of life. In preparation for Chaucer, I've been reading first century philosophy, C. S. Lewis, and Italian poets like Boccaccio and Dante, and going to various lectures about Chaucer and Troilus and Criseyde, as well as reading the text itself. I will never be able to read everything I could/should for class, but it's very empowering to get such a variation of perspectives and to go into a piece of literature with so much context. In other words, this system is pretty neat.

For all of you dorks out there, here's an experience you can appreciate with me: yesterday afternoon I walked around listening to my ipod and just looking at everything surrounding me, setting my memories and mental pictures to music (apparently Innocence Mission is the overarching theme for this trip). It was awesome. ;)

And speaking of awesome/me being a dork: I think I'm on the Keble ballroom team now... I'm not really sure. I went to their ballroom lesson last night, just to see what it was like and for a study break, and by the time it was over they were assuring me that they would find me a partner for the upcoming competition (which, humorously enough, might end up being Danielle). Wait... what? They want me to do the Jive (which, by the way, is a really fun, and really FAST sort of swing... although they classify it as latin). I just learned the basic steps to the dance last night, and it was pretty overwhelming, but apparently the deal with the competition is that you have to have at least one unexperienced dancer in each dance (I definitely qualify...). I don't know if I'll actually end up doing it, but I'm gonna go back next week and play it by ear.

Now I have to find my robe and cycle up to Keble for dinner. We had our first formal dinner last night and none of us knew what to do. Plus, the whole robe thing just felt like maybe it was a cruel joke at our expense. However, I can personally attest that, yes, they do actually wear robes to dinner. 

To all the Covenant folk: good luck with finals!! Hang in there!

1 comment:

wettopsoil said...

if i buy a robe can i wear it to dinner when i see you?
hahahaha. jules would be so jealous. it's like the real live HP parties we had in high school, but so much better.