"You are guilty of no evil... except a little fearfulness. For that, the journey you go on is your pain, and perhaps your cure: for you must be either mad or brave before it is ended." ~C. S. Lewis "Out of the Silent Planet"

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Snow Day

Well, everyone's mother can officially say "I told you so," because it snowed and hailed like the dickens outside today. I'm not quite sure I brought my winter coat... or my face mask.

Today we headed out on a group excursion to see Leeds Castle. It was lots of fun despite the bitter wind. We got to walk through the great house, visit the aviary where a beautiful, colorful Macaw greeted us in a British accent, and wander through the maze. We also explored an underground grotto that reminded me strangely of Rock City... 

Other highlights from the trip thus far:
  • We walked around the quad and chapel of Exeter college (Tolkien's college!! EEK! Nerdy joy!)
  • I've gotten to enjoy a pint in both the Lamb and Flag, and the Turf Tavern (the Eagle and Child is still at the top of my to do list, but nobody else seems quite as eager as I am to see it)
  • We've walked around the city several times and I've already bought and returned books at Blackwells (the Flourish and Blotts of Oxford)
  • A man asked me for money on the street and I gave him the coins in my pocket, only to have him chasing me down the street saying, "this ain't money sweet'eart! Ya can't spend it! it ain't money. Here, take it back." (I had somehow obtained a coin that is no longer in circulation... it was rather embarrassing and he made a bit of a scene about it, but was very sympathetic seeing as I am only a silly American)
  • I made a wish under the bridge of sighs (but I can't tell you what it was, or it wont come true. The tour guide assured us that this works)
Tomorrow I'm heading to St. Ebbes for the Easter service and then I'll just be reading and preparing for classes until tuesday, when the party begins. And by party, I mean lots and lots of work. ;)

No comments: