"You are guilty of no evil... except a little fearfulness. For that, the journey you go on is your pain, and perhaps your cure: for you must be either mad or brave before it is ended." ~C. S. Lewis "Out of the Silent Planet"

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mountain Song




Though Levin found himself amidst the hum

of singing scythes, yet I myself prefer

to let the grasses grow. The fertile bed

his peasants sowed with seed, will pillow me

as, laying still and quiet, I reacquaint

myself with stars. I’ll sing no taming song,

but hear instead the whirring crickets chirp,

and wonder that the breeze should blow each blade

of grass so gently. Others work this soil

to harvest crop, but I content myself

with lazy weekend walks and hope the life

of fields and streams will sow itself in me—

that, walking sterile halls and working days

in sterile rooms I’ll keep a fertile mind,

recalling still the kiss of grass, the smell

of pine and all the untamed order of

my mountain valley. Even now I hear

its song and feel my heartbeat keeping time.

1 comment:

Trey said...

Heather, this is amazing.

I mean seriously, I think this is brilliant. Well done!