"You are guilty of no evil... except a little fearfulness. For that, the journey you go on is your pain, and perhaps your cure: for you must be either mad or brave before it is ended." ~C. S. Lewis "Out of the Silent Planet"

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chapter One (again)

Well, I'm back.

I typically reserve this type of writing for times when I am traveling abroad or somewhere special that inspires me. Admittedly, I had hoped that my next post would be coming from Edinburgh or St. Andrews in Scotland, but as Divine Providence would have it I find myself firmly planted back in Chattanooga Tennessee. God has a funny way of doing whatever He pleases with you and working it all out for the best whether you like it or not, and therefore, I have decided to simply be inspired by Chattanooga and cast aside any European regrets.

At this moment, I am sitting on my bed in my apartment on the fifth floor of an old brick building on Vine Street. Yesterday being my first day of class and work here at the University of Tennessee in Chattanooga, it was both encouraging and frustrating. My thoughts are frankly all over the place, so I'll resort to my horrific (yet typical) use of bullet pointing for some highlights:

  • Work is going to be just fine. I will learn to have a thick skin and I will learn a lot about editing and I will constantly remind myself that when you combine the cost of tuition with my stipend I am being very well compensated. My assistantship with the English department has not started yet, but I met my Professor and she seemed amiable enough and I am looking forward to working for her. The communications department, however, is where I worked yesterday and where I will be returning today, equipped with my own usb thumb drive and a readiness to read with a critical eye and search through tons of files on tons of ancient computers.
  • I have officially arrived at not Covenant. Before my first class was over, the professor (a very colorful youngish gentleman who loves Literary Theory and Criticism almost as much as he loves to hear himself talk) informed the class that despite protests from the crazed conservative masses, there is no such thing as absolute truth. I thought we all realized back in high school how absurd such a statement is? Speaking of Literary theory and Criticism, that statement of fact about the non-existence of absolute truth might sort of deconstruct itself upon close inspection... maybe that's just me. Anyway, I quickly realized that the sorts of things I heard Oxford Dons say aren't as charming and palatable coming from the mouth of a Tennessee native who illustrates everything with a reference to Southpark or the Speed channel. Nonetheless it's going to be a really good class and I will be challenged on many fronts.
Glancing at the clock it strikes me that if I want to obtain my books and lunch and get to work on time I should probably roll out of bed and start moving. But, don't worry, I'll be back. :)

Galatians 19-21 "For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if justification were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose."

2 comments:

wettopsoil said...

my dear,
i'm glad to see you're back at it.

L.C.Lou said...

Miss Heather,

This was written last August and you promised to be back...How is it going now?
Love muchly,
L.C.Lou Bruijnes-Cobb